Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Febru-where?

PHEW, what a past month! Yes, I got a bit side-tracked from posting here, but not to worry as mostly all I was up to for February was slaving away in lab! Things are going ok there, and we've now set that I'll be walking at graduation on May 8th and turning in my thesis/defending in August, but boy is a Master's Degree a looottttt to do! In addition to my own data and plants to take care of, we've also been hosting a visiting scientist named Flo from one of the leading labs in my field (so in a totally dorky way, you might say an associate of a celebrity among C4 plant physiologists...). Between collaborating with him at work and the fact that he's staying in Bryan's place while here, I think a shocking amount of my time went into talking plants. Luckily though, he's a pretty cool dude, so working with good people like Flo makes being so absorbed in work actually more fun than it sounds.

Of course I didn't spend ALL my time working. Actually, one of the more fun things about the month was simply an exciting series of boxes delivered from home that really helped brighten up Valentine's Day and the end of winter! And, even for February, there's always something good outdoors for Bryan and I to get into. So of the more interesting events, I'll summarize in photos:

A big box of So. Cal. sunshine, courtesy of one farmer Papa


Nothing makes a snowy week seem a little nicer than something blooming on your windowsill in spite of it. The bulb this started as came along with several other Valentine's Day surprises from my mom


Can you believe my stepmom made this? It was actually my birthday present, but since it came this past month it's been so bright and happy to wake up to. Sure gives me a lot to live up to with my own sewing projects!


Trip of the month: Camping over Memorial Day/Valentine's weekend at the Wenaha River, northeastern OR. I think this pretty much instantly became my favorite spot within 2 hours of Pullman (it's just due South, but look how beautiful and different from the Palouse!)


Me looking pretty fancy for our ultra-classy Valentine's Day camping weekend


That's a little better =)


On the trail that lead us to this part of Oregon. A VERY cool walk, although we only were only able to make it along a few miles due to rain. Hope to get back again this spring or summer


Wildlife!


Well, at least traces of wildlife. We were hoping to see some mountain goats. That didn't pan out, but weird thing, by the tracks we found we were pretty sure THIS goat was following US!


And finally, looking good in some blue mud we found in all the bizarre rocks on the trail


Back in Pullman, I finally got a good shot of the giant cows on campus while out for a recent bike ride. For reference, the shed at left is designed to cover the heads of normal-sized cows


And final little adventure of late, Bryan and I got a pet crawdad! We took a randomly warm day toward the end of the month to do homework at the Snake River, and for whatever reason decided to try and catch something...


It only took 4 hours, but here's what I caught! I guess I would have liked to catch a few more for dinner, but when you only catch one thing all day...


You bring it home and have a pet! Bryan named him Sir Agustus, but I like just Gus. We've since added two fish to his tank, Zip and Ploppy(!)



So there you have it, February 2010. Next thing I'll have to report is my spring break, which I'm happily just beginning at my Dad's house in Phoenix, AZ. All we have planned is hanging out, a little hiking, and visiting with the family, and that is just fine for me! So I'll get back to soaking up some sun, hope you all have a fun start to your springs wherever you may be, and I'll be back to share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment