Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ohhhh January

A pretty mellow week to report here. Just been settling back into the teaching/classes schedule at work and otherwise enjoying my happy little apartment at home. It was actually pretty amazing weather for Pullman earlier last week (up in the 40's!), but by the time I had any free daylight hours this weekend it had gone back to a little bit snowy and a lot bit foggy. I've always wondered if the weather gods have an inside scoop on my schedule so they can plan these sorts of things...

The view from my balcony. I began to feel like I live in a cloud!


But I guess I still made decent use of indoor time with some typically nerdy, Jenny-type projects. I worked on my next sewing attempts, still sticking with Lindsey's vintage apron pattern set I used for the Christmas apron, but trying two more with some cool veggie fabric I found. I figure I might as well make useful things as I'm learning, and this ties together me learning to sew with me learning to cook. Plus it won't hurt to look good in the kitchen, right? I guess that will depend on how they turn out, but I'm optimistic so far.

Aprons in their early phases.

I'll keep you posted as I go


So that, the gym, and a movie was the majority of my relaxation time all weekend (I rented Lars and the Real Girl, it's pretty great if you like the category of happy-funny-odd). I did take a few breaks though to stretch my legs with Bryan, and we did get into something new; we geocached, and right in our own neighborhood! He owns a GPS and has been reading up on the hobby lately, and just between our apartments and a nearby trail we've already found 3! Ok, ok, I know it's not quite the staggering record that SOMEBODY has (Dad =) ), but it's a start and gave us an excuse to get out even in all the slush. Since I helped, Bryan signed me up as his fellow geocacher - we're the "lost botanists," cache count 3. At this moment I'll just say that I feel pretty darned high-tech, writing in my blog and uploading digital photos from a GPS- and internet-based treasure hunt I went on today.

Out caching around.

Bryan joked I'm more of the "lost" part of "lost botanists"

It's true (although at least I'm not the crazy-looking one!)



And finally, speaking of high-tech, an addition to point out on the website tonight. To the right you'll see a new feature of "other good blogs I recommend." I talked to Lisa Bushman today (happy birthday Lis!) and found out she's started a blog to keep in touch with her family too! See, it must be a good idea. Just click on the link below the recommendations title to see what she and Mikel are up to in Michigan. I'll bet they'll be very honored as the 1st amazing blog I'm stamping with my approval. Is this the wave of the future? I think so...

No comments:

Post a Comment